Thursday July 10th, 2008 | News, SEM, SEO

Google Usage Still Rising, Yahoo Steady, MSN Falling



It’s no secret – Google is the most widely used search engine in the marketplace. Hitwise has tracked  search engine usage over the years (amongst other things) and their data shows a steady increase in Google usage.

Search Engine Usage 2007 (data Hitwase)
[ 2007 hitwise report with 2006 data ]

Who is Losing?

So with Google’s increase in popularity who is losing users? The answer is primarily MSN. Despite their best efforts to drive up usage of their Live search engine MSN continues to drop lower and lower on the totem pole. So low in fact that they are in real danger of being overtaken in populariy and usage by Ask who has maintained a steady albeit low usage rate over the years.

Google siphoned off 4% of the overall usage pie from MSN and another 2% from Yahoo, gaining them 6% of the search engine user population over the last couple of years.

Search Engine Usage 2008 (data Hitwise)

[ 2008 hitwise report with 2008 data ]

Which engine do you use – and why?

Share with us which search engine you use and why you use that engine. Better results, easier to use, faster..?


6 great comments so far, keep em coming! | rss

  • Saturday July 12th, 2008
    Richard Saling

    For the American region, Google is by far the top dog of Search. The tipping point I think was when Google turned into a verb. Their technology is solid I am sure, but they know how to market their Engine. That is the real issue. They made a clean interface focused solely on search, where MSN tries to be a portal and Yahoo was a directory for a while and the main pages for these engines are too busy. So along comes Google with something different and superior technology to back it up and wha la; Google is taking over the world.


  • Tuesday July 22nd, 2008
    AzAkers

    Good points

    The focal points for the various engines becomes pretty obvious with a look at how the search engine hompages have changed over the years.

    Grant it, relevancy, speed and brand authority all come into play, but it’s pretty clear that the engines know what their individual strengths are. Google is clearly the search king.


  • Monday July 28th, 2008
    Microsoft ‘Buying Yahoo - A Tactic, Not A Strategy’ | AzAkers

    [...] noted earlier this month that Microsoft, despite it’s varied and familiar tactics, has failed to gain market traction. Rather, Microsoft has gradually lost credibility and usage in the search marketplace over the last [...]


  • Monday July 28th, 2008
    Microsoft Live Search Coming to Facebook | AzAkers

    [...] I’m inclined to agree. The Microsoft strategy needs more than ad placement partnerships if they want to gain search market share. [...]


  • Monday June 08th, 2009
    Eric Transue

    I personally use Google. I like the simplicity of the page and it seems to return results faster for me. I also find more relevant results for my searches than I do with some of the other engines.

    My latest post..Why Did My Site Disappear from Google?


  • Tuesday September 29th, 2009
    Susan Jones

    I prefer to use google the most. I get more of what I am looking for faster.
    Do you think MSN will continue to fall?



Thanks for reading.

Quick, add your comment!
Trackbacks are enabled.





«
»